I decided that I want to know a bit more about Lithuania and have started to read the wikipedia entry about them.
I will post the top ten interesting facts later today hopefully.
- By the end of the fourteenth century, Lithuania was the largest country in Europe.
- 190,000 or 91% of the Lithuanian Jews were killed, one of the highest total mortality rates of the Holocaust.
- On February 4, 1991, Iceland became the first country to recognize Lithuanian independence.
- Lithuania joined the United Nations on September 17, 1991.
- On May 1, 2004, Lithuania joined the European Union.
- Lithuania is divided into 10 counties, 60 municipalities, and 500 elderates.
- Lithuania has 99 kilometres (61.5 mi) of sandy coastline.
- 83.6% of the Lithuanian population are ethnic Lithuanians who speak the Lithuanian language.
- The historically predominant religion is Roman Catholicism.
- The 2007 estimated population was 3,575,439.
- Juozapinė Hill is the highest point in Lithuania with an elevation of only 292,7 meters (957 feet).
Ok, so I found eleven. It was more interesting than I thought. 🙂